Skip to main content

Oh Shadow, Dear Shadow (Minimoog, Pt 1)

I don't know
if it was just
that it was Alberta
or the time
of the world
or something else
that I haven't been able
to put my finger on
but there are things
I remember
that aren't quite right

I was OK
with choral speech
at the Jubilee Auditorium
in Edmonton
Related image
admittedly
not knowing
it might have been
possible
for us
to choreograph
the syllables we spoke
with
silhouettes

but I was focussed
on memorizing lines
at 5
I may have
had feeling
in my voice
but not
so as one could say
I was actually
enunciating
when all I was doing
was responding
to the cues
of Mrs. Kelly
orchestrating
surprise and other plus forts
with her hands
and her eyes

we performed
two numbers
that Autumn
as a Centennial project
obligatory and patriotic
at the time

there was "Shadow Dance"
by Ivy O. Eastwick
and "Missing"
by A.A. Milne

Eastwick was middle-aged
at the time
Milne
of Pooh fame
had recently died
both were English
and we were still
colonial

"Shadow Dance"
was a solitary poem
that made me feel
I had company
while I rehearsed
the lines
the trouble was
the poem was
about dance
and I couldn't dance
and I didn't dance
and I still can't dance
but with two left feet
and no wiggle
in my hips
I mouthed the words
with the others
and together
we conjured
angels
whom none of us saw
and none of us heard

so we began

Oh Shadow,
Dear Shadow,
Come, Shadow,
And dance!
On the wall
In the firelight
Let both of
Us prance!
I raise my
Arms, thus!
And you raise
Your arms, so!
And dancing
And leaping
And laughing
We go!
From the wall
To the ceiling,
From ceiling
To wall,
Just you and
I, Shadow,
And no one else
At all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Up along (for Charlotte)

The day is yet young there where you are and I have just been to a screening of You Are Here about the stranded passengers who were fed and found shelter in Gander Newfoundland when American air space was closed in the wake of 9/11 and jumbo jets descended on the town like waves of locusts or bombers returning from sortie and run in stacked formation one atop another as they landed and parked nose to tail as if on some aircraft carrier preparing the way for an assault by land from the start the locals had her skald (for those who know nothing of witches and cauldrons to have her skald means to know your fate and have it in your hands) and sprang to action as seafaring people do used to missing bodies lost livelihoods and death and disasters at sea housing passengers from hither and yon in schools and churches and meeting halls and billeting them in their homes for 24 hours they made sandwiches fried fish and chicken threw toget...

Things always end in the Summer

In the middle of the second major heatwave of the season, the City cut the wildflowers along the footpath.  I mean they cut everything 30 inches on either side of the pavement, but since the flowers were my friends, all I saw was that they cut the flowers, even though they actually mowed indiscriminately.  And it must have been a chore for the labourer in this heat, so his feet were heavy when he made hay of the prettiest parts of the Summer.  But I can't get to that right now; I'm still reeling from the loss of chicory, and the other pinks and yellows and blues whose names I was just beginning to learn. "Program, get your program", I heard the barker call on my way to the bleachers.  I turned once and caught his eye, and looked at the program in his hand and back into his eyes--all the while his eyes following mine--but then he looked back to his hand, and again into my eyes and he said "You can't tell the player without a card"! Did it matter that ...
The city mover beat me to the chicory this evening maybe if I had passed by earlier I could have caught a glimpse of them but they will rise Phoenix like from the close cropped pile of grass and weed and present their brash and uneven beauty once again before the need for carpet and trimming loops of magic made by subterranean rug weavers is once again mandated and duly executed by the city crew in the burnt orange cabs of their ride along mowers browning the backs of their hands and letting the heat weather beat their faces to match the cabs and fulfill some unspoken contract between landscaping and maintenance and the gods of Chance Fortune as ever favouring the bold there will be other routs of the mover before the Summer is done and more rain hopefully if I can contain the fear of thunderheads building and more returns of visible biodiversity Nature never surrenders unconditionally but like a lover choosing her battl...