Skip to main content

Mourning doves

I was surprised
this morning
to see a pair
of mourning doves
perched
on a telephone wire
out my kitchen window
Related image
showing affection
the way horses do
Image result for horses showing affection
preening
each other's necks
Image result for morning doves
I imagined how pleased
they must have been
to find
such a place
to alight
so far
from stinging nettles
pine needles
branches and trees
Image result for pine needles
I wanted to ask them
what's going on
but generally you don't need
to ask that
of crows
Image result for alberta crows
or ravens
Image result for Canadian ravens
or rooks
Image result for english rooks
or all manner
of non blondes
and just then
I imagined
how
the local French Canadians
with their own special joual
got their nid de poule
Image result for nid de pouleImage result for nid de poule
Image result for nid de pouleby analogy
with the more familiar
nid de corbeau
Image result for nid de corbeau
which marks
Turtle Mountain
Image result for turtle mountain frank slide
and the Frank Slide
Image result for crowsnest pass alberta
and the Crowsnest Pass
Image result for crowsnest pass alberta
as a place
of love
and loss
and longing stopped fast

I can't think now
of those
souls without longing
Image result for closing of the american mind first edition signedAlllan BloomImage result for closing of the american mind  signed first edition
I can't actually ask
the mourning doves a thing
but I believe
I heard them say
take time
to do your laundry
today
that's why we're here
and when you hang
it on the line
Related image
we'll go
until next time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Up along (for Charlotte)

The day is yet young there where you are and I have just been to a screening of You Are Here about the stranded passengers who were fed and found shelter in Gander Newfoundland when American air space was closed in the wake of 9/11 and jumbo jets descended on the town like waves of locusts or bombers returning from sortie and run in stacked formation one atop another as they landed and parked nose to tail as if on some aircraft carrier preparing the way for an assault by land from the start the locals had her skald (for those who know nothing of witches and cauldrons to have her skald means to know your fate and have it in your hands) and sprang to action as seafaring people do used to missing bodies lost livelihoods and death and disasters at sea housing passengers from hither and yon in schools and churches and meeting halls and billeting them in their homes for 24 hours they made sandwiches fried fish and chicken threw toget...

Things always end in the Summer

In the middle of the second major heatwave of the season, the City cut the wildflowers along the footpath.  I mean they cut everything 30 inches on either side of the pavement, but since the flowers were my friends, all I saw was that they cut the flowers, even though they actually mowed indiscriminately.  And it must have been a chore for the labourer in this heat, so his feet were heavy when he made hay of the prettiest parts of the Summer.  But I can't get to that right now; I'm still reeling from the loss of chicory, and the other pinks and yellows and blues whose names I was just beginning to learn. "Program, get your program", I heard the barker call on my way to the bleachers.  I turned once and caught his eye, and looked at the program in his hand and back into his eyes--all the while his eyes following mine--but then he looked back to his hand, and again into my eyes and he said "You can't tell the player without a card"! Did it matter that ...
The city mover beat me to the chicory this evening maybe if I had passed by earlier I could have caught a glimpse of them but they will rise Phoenix like from the close cropped pile of grass and weed and present their brash and uneven beauty once again before the need for carpet and trimming loops of magic made by subterranean rug weavers is once again mandated and duly executed by the city crew in the burnt orange cabs of their ride along mowers browning the backs of their hands and letting the heat weather beat their faces to match the cabs and fulfill some unspoken contract between landscaping and maintenance and the gods of Chance Fortune as ever favouring the bold there will be other routs of the mover before the Summer is done and more rain hopefully if I can contain the fear of thunderheads building and more returns of visible biodiversity Nature never surrenders unconditionally but like a lover choosing her battl...