Skip to main content

Letters of happiness (Fast cars, Pt 3, for Olga)

It seems traffic cameras
Image result for traffic cameras ottawa
are a drag everywhere
in Russia when you've speeded
or run a red light
you get a letter of happiness
in the mail
reminding you you've sinned

I don't know what they are called here
but $365 is quite a toll
Related image
and must surely evoke
more than happiness
for those who are used
to making those signature
California rolling stops
and never got used to being ticketed
or towed

there must be some
enjoying the cameras and the chance
to change other people's behaviour
but I haven't met them
not even one
perhaps I will one day
but in the meantime
puzzle over the the psychology
of elastic band snaps
and salivating dogs
Image result for pavlov's dog
and the great battery
of stimulus and response
to which we are treated
in the course of a walk
or a jaunt

somewhere Kant
whether you can go there
or even if you can't
is slumbering
not yet stirred or wakened
from the terrors of men
who are laws unto themselves
I wonder about the race of devils
lurking on the margins
of any good critique
waiting their chance
to do what they like
not just because they can
but because doing things that way
promotes their own flourishing

and we thought
the making of the autonomous man
or woman too was
a worthy objective of education
a paideia to rival
the epic re-enactments of Homer
that move us to empathy
or the sniffer dog memories
of Simonides
Image result for simonides
that point the way
and show us the place
where dinner guests are buried
that they might be excavated
and properly laid to rest

but like so many calculi
Bentham's just measure of pain
Image result for a just measure of pain
Machiavelli's political calculus
or Hobbes' greatest possible evil
summum malum
Image result for hobbes summum malum
the height of human striving
can't subsist
in such low motives
for long

but for now
we have our little letters
of happiness
and bills to pay
or give up driving
and learn to walk.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Up along (for Charlotte)

The day is yet young there where you are and I have just been to a screening of You Are Here about the stranded passengers who were fed and found shelter in Gander Newfoundland when American air space was closed in the wake of 9/11 and jumbo jets descended on the town like waves of locusts or bombers returning from sortie and run in stacked formation one atop another as they landed and parked nose to tail as if on some aircraft carrier preparing the way for an assault by land from the start the locals had her skald (for those who know nothing of witches and cauldrons to have her skald means to know your fate and have it in your hands) and sprang to action as seafaring people do used to missing bodies lost livelihoods and death and disasters at sea housing passengers from hither and yon in schools and churches and meeting halls and billeting them in their homes for 24 hours they made sandwiches fried fish and chicken threw toget...

Things always end in the Summer

In the middle of the second major heatwave of the season, the City cut the wildflowers along the footpath.  I mean they cut everything 30 inches on either side of the pavement, but since the flowers were my friends, all I saw was that they cut the flowers, even though they actually mowed indiscriminately.  And it must have been a chore for the labourer in this heat, so his feet were heavy when he made hay of the prettiest parts of the Summer.  But I can't get to that right now; I'm still reeling from the loss of chicory, and the other pinks and yellows and blues whose names I was just beginning to learn. "Program, get your program", I heard the barker call on my way to the bleachers.  I turned once and caught his eye, and looked at the program in his hand and back into his eyes--all the while his eyes following mine--but then he looked back to his hand, and again into my eyes and he said "You can't tell the player without a card"! Did it matter that ...
The city mover beat me to the chicory this evening maybe if I had passed by earlier I could have caught a glimpse of them but they will rise Phoenix like from the close cropped pile of grass and weed and present their brash and uneven beauty once again before the need for carpet and trimming loops of magic made by subterranean rug weavers is once again mandated and duly executed by the city crew in the burnt orange cabs of their ride along mowers browning the backs of their hands and letting the heat weather beat their faces to match the cabs and fulfill some unspoken contract between landscaping and maintenance and the gods of Chance Fortune as ever favouring the bold there will be other routs of the mover before the Summer is done and more rain hopefully if I can contain the fear of thunderheads building and more returns of visible biodiversity Nature never surrenders unconditionally but like a lover choosing her battl...